Carolyn Costin Conscious Eating Guidelines
The Conscious Eating Guidelines devised by Carolyn Costin contain essential steps towards building a healthier relationship with food. If we don’t change our relationship with food – it’s impossible to recover. These guidelines are to help anyone who is wanting to get off the yo-yo dieting treadmill, heal from disordered eating of any kind and to help achieve eating disorder recovery.
- Be conscious of your hunger. Eat when moderately hungry – don’t wait until you are famished.
- Eat regularly and do not skip meals.
- Allow yourself to eat all foods – unless you are allergic or have a serious health issue.
- Eat what you want – being conscious of how foods make you feel and taking into account your own personal health issues.
- All calories are equivalent when it comes to weight – a calorie is a calorie!
- For meals, eat a balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrates – your body needs all of these to function properly and efficiently.
- Stay conscious of your fullness and satisfaction – the texture and taste of food is important for satisfaction.
- If you do overeat, which is normal to do sometimes, reassure yourself that your body can handle it if you simply get back on track. It’s also ok to wait to eat but don’t wait too long.
- Enjoy food and the pleasure of eating – enhance your eating to dining with nice candles, dishes and flowers on the table.
- Make conscious choices to avoid foods that make you feel physically bad after eating them.
Reference: Carolyn Costin, 8 Keys to Recovery from an Eating Disorder
Do you want to transform your relationship with food, body & soul®? Start here by clicking on the link for a copy of my free eBook, 4 Ways to Befriend Your Body.