Founded by Marc David, Dynamic Eating Psychology, combines the psychology of eating with the science of mind body nutrition; it is the latest and most up-to-date approach there is for healing from “weight concerns, emotional eating, binge eating, overeating, body image challenges, endless dieting and a variety of nutrition related health concerns such as digestion, fatigue, mood, immunity and more (Marc David)”
Using an empowering, positive and transformational approach, Dynamic Eating Psychology works using techniques and tools from counselling and coaching models, body centered practices, soul-centred and spiritual psychology, archetypal psychologies, positive psychology, cognitive approaches, Health at Every Size (HAES) and more. Dynamic Eating Psychology is also firmly grounded in the best of clinical and scientific nutrition, complementary and alternative medicine and mind-body sciences.
Rather than viewing the person as being a problem or having a problem to get rid of, Dynamic Eating Psychology views food and body concerns as symptoms that are in much need of depth exploration. Holding a soulful and holistic context, by exploring the complexity of these symptoms, we can learn, grow and transform our relationships with self, others, work, money, pleasure, sexuality, lifestyle, nutrition, search for meaning and fulfillment and so on.
“For far too long, we’ve been inundated by negative messages about food, body, weight and diet. We’ve been told that we’re willpower weaklings or that we need more control. The majority of nutrition experts promote vastly different and conflicting advice. The result is that people are confused about what to eat and how to have a happy relationship with food and a healthy metabolism. Eating Psychology Coaches help you rise above nutritional confusion. They’re trained to help you get un-stuck. By eliminating all the “shoulds and shouldn’ts”, their approach focuses on what’s right for your body and your personal style. As you work with an Eating Psychology Coach in this way, food and health issues become a place of exploration. Instead of seeing eating challenges as the enemy, they become opportunities for growth and self-improvement. From here, you’re better able to reach your highest goals (Marc David).”
What is Mind Body Nutrition?
In Psychology and Nutrition: The Perfect Union, Marc David writes,
“Mind Body Nutrition is an exciting new approach that looks at the psycho-physiology of how digestion, assimilation, calorie burning and all the nutritive functions of the body are literally and scientifically impacted by stress, relaxation, thought, emotion, pleasure, our personal story, eating rhythm, eating speed and awareness…. WHAT we eat is half the story of good nutrition. The other half of the story is WHO we are as eaters. Mind Body Nutrition provides this all-important missing link to metabolic health.”
What types of food and body concerns are Dynamic Eating Psychology and Mind Body Nutrition useful for?
Dynamic Eating Psychology and Mind Body Nutrition are for anyone who struggles with food, body, health and well-being concerns including:
- Yoyo, fad or chronic dieting
- Obsession with counting points, calories, fats or proteins
- Body image and body shame
- Fat shaming and fat talking to self and others
- Using food
- to sooth, numb or squash intolerable feelings
- in search of transpersonal qualities such as love
- to punish oneself for not being good enough, thin enough, successful enough…
- Eating disorders including anorexia, binge eating, bulimia, obesity, orthorexia and EDNOS
- Splitting and black and white thinking around notions of good or bad, healthy or unhealthy, clean or unclean, lazy or fit and fat or thin
- A myriad of health and well-being concerns related to the body and diet such as digestion, cancer, fatigue, illnesses and immunity etc
What are the benefits of Dynamic Eating Psychology and Mind Body Nutrition?
Body hate, weight prejudice, restriction of pleasure and tyrannizing ourselves into a certain way of being are old and outdated ways of thinking! Dynamic Eating Psychology and Mind Body Nutrition can benefit you by:
- Learning a hopeful, positive, uplifting approach to food and body
- Exploring what your challenges with food and body are here to teach you
- Discovering hidden wisdom, secret messages and important connections between food, body and all other areas of your life
- Learning how to slow-down and listen to your unique body wisdom
- Healing and transforming your relationship with food and body
- Changing your perceptions about nutrition and nourishment, exercise and movement
- Finding out what it is that you are physically, emotionally, mentally, sexually and spiritually hungry for
- Experiencing a truly holistic approach; body, mind, heart and SOUL!
You will also take away:
- Strategies and nutrition principles that are doable, sustainable and that yield results
- Practical techniques and results-oriented psychological tools
- Clinical nutrition strategies, body-centered practices and mind-body science techniques
- A depth of understanding about who you are as a unique individual and how to bring out the best in who you are personally and metabolically
Reference: The Institute of the Psychology of Eating: Our Approach